+ + + NEWSFLASH + + + (https://newsx.media)
For newsdesk queries : Call or WhatsApp on +44 751 927 1676 or mail on queries@newsx.media
WARNING: GRAPHIC SCENES
(starts)
A young woman who would have celebrated her 21st birthday this week was stabbed to death outside a tavern by her ex-boyfriend who then posted videos online blaming her and professing his love.
Lazarus Lito Anthonio stabbed Kgaogelo Marota outside the Dubai tavern in Maubane village, North West province, South Africa, on Thursday, 21st August.
Horrifying video footage filmed and later posted on Facebook by Anthonio himself shows her lying lifeless and covered in blood.
He captioned the gruesome clip, which has since been deleted, with the words: "Judge me all you want, it is done, there..."
Police said Kgaogelo was found lying on the ground with multiple stab wounds. Emergency services declared her dead at the scene.
Investigations revealed that after stabbing Kgaogelo, Anthonio went back to his home where he stabbed his current girlfriend several times. She was taken to hospital for treatment.
After the incidents, he posted videos and messages on social media confessing to the murder.
In one post, accompanied by a photo of him and Kgaogelo, he claimed that only he and the victim knew "the truth" and said he had put everything online to prove it.
He framed himself as the wronged party, spoke of a promise "till death do us apart" and ended with "Will forever love you," despite just having fatally stabbed her.
Family members said Kgaogelo endured months of abuse at the hands of her ex and sought help from police before her brutal murder.
The 26-year-old killer was arrested in the early hours of Friday, 22nd August.
He appeared in the Temba Magistrate’s Court on Monday charged with murder and attempted murder. The case was postponed to 5th September for a bail application.
Civil society groups and the ANC Youth League gathered outside court demanding justice.
Kgaogelo's family condemned the community for failing to act during the stabbing. Her father, Thabiso Seema, said he felt let down by residents of Maubane who filmed instead of helping.
Her uncle, Zakes Seema, said that the justice system should make an example of her alleged killer to curb gender-based violence. He said he even supported reinstating the death penalty for such crimes.
Police spokesperson Colonel Adele Myburgh confirmed Kgaogelo's death and the hospitalisation of the second victim. Acting North West Police Commissioner Major General Patrick Asaneng said investigators would ensure a strong case went before the court.
Kgaogelo had been due to celebrate her 21st birthday on Tuesday.
(Mike Leidig / newsX)
Byline Journalist: Mike Leidig
Byline Sub editor: Simona Kitanovska
Byline Spotter: Ivica Stojanovski
Byline Commisioning Editor: Mike Leidig
Byline Senior Writer: Mike Leidig
Byline Picture Editor: Zorica Stojkovik
Byline Video Editor: Aloysius Fernandes
Byline Copychecker: Simona Kitanovska
Byline Illustrator: Simona Kitanovska
Byline News Editor: Simona Kitanovska
Geography: Limpopo
Subject: Legal, Crime, Murder, Femicide, Real-life, Relationships / Dating, Society
T4 Editor Story Rating: 6
T4 Editor Pic/Vid rating: 6
T4 Total rating: 6