+ + + NEWSFLASH + + + (https://newsx.media)
For newsdesk queries : Call or WhatsApp on +44 751 927 1676 or mail on queries@newsx.media.
(starts)
The devastated parents of a schoolgirl stabbed 74 times by two friends after a row over a social media posting have begun a civil case in a bid to gain justice and closure for their murdered daughter.
A lawyer for the parents of the victim, Luise Frisch, aged 12, said that both parents and the murdered girl's sister were continuing to receive psychological support and suffer particularly from the failure of anyone to be prosecuted because of the young age of the two killers.
Because of their young age, both are under 14, they cannot be tried in a criminal court, although Germany does allow for children aged over seven to be subject to civil claims.
The girls accused of the attack, named as Luisa Halberstadt, then 13, and Anna-Marie Hoffman, then 12, were placed in psychiatric care after being removed from their families and school.
The killing happened in the town of Freudenberg, a small town in the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia, on 11th March 2023, and the first day of the civil trial began with a failure of both sides to come to an agreement.
But it did result in more information about the murder of Luise, who was knifed 74 times before being thrown down a slope from a bike path near a disused train station in Wildenburg, around two kilometres (1.2 miles) from her home.
The details were not previously available because prosecutors did not make it public, but the civil case means extra information about the shocking crime has become public, including the fact that the two killers were carrying a knife and a plastic dustbin bag when they went to meet the victim.
They had apparently planned the murder 24 hours earlier, sparked by an argument on social media, and had discussed killing Luise in online chats.
The younger of the two wrote a message saying "I'll kill her" and also used Google and expressed relief when they realised they could carry out the crime and would not have to worry about prosecution because they were not yet 14.
Under this belief, they then pressed ahead with the murder, luring Luise into the woods on a rainy Saturday and trying to suffocate her with a plastic bag, which did not work when she fought them off.
The other girl then apparently pulled out a nail file before being joined by the other in stabbing the victim.
However, the evidence contradicts the claims of the parents of the killers, with the father of the older child saying that she only held the victim, and it was the younger one who carried out the murder. The pair of them had then thrown the badly injured former friend down an embankment.
He said that his daughter did not take this seriously until the other girl stabbed Luise with a nail file.
The father says his daughter explained that she "restrained the victim" and that her contribution to the crime was "at most 20 per cent."
The civil case from Luise's family is on the basis that they are seeking EUR 162,000 (GBP 140,000) in damages over the killing.
It is believed that this move will force Halberstadt and Hoffman to appear in court over the killing, despite being shielded from criminal prosecution by their age.
The case is being brought before the Siegen District Court, where Luise's parents are represented by lawyer Julian Graf.
Graf said: "The parents simply want justice. Criminal law failed here due to the age of the perpetrators."
He added: "They want justice at least in civil law."
The first hearing took place on 24th July, with no verdict reached after the first day of trial.
According to the Koblenz Regional Court, the amount demanded consists of damages for her parents and her sister, as well as damages for Luise herself. The claim to this amount is inheritable.
At the beginning of the hearing, the presiding judge made it clear that this was not an everyday case being heard. It left one "somewhat speechless."
The two alleged perpetrators were connected to the trial via video and questioned. Luise's relatives were not present. They were represented by her lawyer.
The murdered girl's family had earlier issued a heartbreaking public tribute describing the void left in their lives.
In the message, they said: "Luise. Our home is now so quiet. Your place will always be empty."
They added: "Luise's violent death has brought with it unbearable pain. But through the uncountable gestures from those who also showed their sadness and willingness to help us get through this, we have learned that we are not alone.
"From our hearts, we thank everybody for your support in the hardest time of our lives.
"We also thank the fast response and support of the emergency services and volunteers who worked day and night to try and find our Luise.
"We also want to thank the police and victim protection department, who offered support and stood by our side."
Luise was laid to rest in Freudenberg’s cemetery following a memorial service at the Evangelical Church on 22nd March 2023.
(Joseph Golder / newsX)
Byline Journalist: Joseph Golder
Byline Sub editor: Joseph Golder
Byline Spotter: Aloysius Fernandes
Byline Commisioning Editor: Aloysius Fernandes
Byline Senior Writer: Joseph Golder
Byline Copychecker: Angela Trajkovska
Byline Illustrator: Angela Trajkovska
Byline News Editor: MJ Leidig
Geography: Freudenberg,_westphalia
Subject: Legal, Crime, Court reports, Murder
T4 Editor Story Rating: 8
T4 Editor Pic/Vid rating: 6
T4 Total rating: 7